Sunday, September 7, 2008

Flea Market

Day 5 (-26)
The shining cleanliness of the stations and trains is great. The only really grubby stations I've seen are those in Asakusa, a much older neighbourhood. This is the new Fukutoshin Line opened in June, with 16 new stations. The escalator has an Auto gate that starts as you walk past the beam.
###################

Today I headed for the Toga Shrine in Harajuku where there is a bi-monthly Flea market. I went to the Shrine first, which has big stone lanterns, and the water spout is from a stone gourd.
As I approached I heard drumming (again!) so I went inside and this time there was a wedding party being photographed on the steps. I was unable to get close of course and my zoom function is not a clear thing so I just enjoyed the view rather than snapped away. The bride was in a gorgeous red patterned kimono with a white hat. and the groom was in blue and white striped hakama (pants) with a white haori (kimono Jacket) There was a lot of fussing getting her clothes just right, and she had someone mopping her face all the time. She must have been ready to expire; it was in the sun and hot!! There were temple attendants as well in coloured clothing that added to the scene.
The Flea market was lots of antique things; kimono, obi, fabric, dolls, pipes, woodblock prints, china and glass as well as old postcards and comics. It was hot and everyone was resting on their stools and only stirred if you asked a question. I bought an old kokeshi doll (wooden ones) with her head on the side and a pattern at the neck and base, unlike any I have. She cost me 250yen! obviously not a collectors item.

No comments:

India and after

 I've been unable to post all year ( not that 2020 has been a year of activity) and because the the action bar at the top of the blog di...