Sunday, June 25, 2017


We acquired Spencer through a friend of Celia's who had his sister the prima donna Talulah!
We were surprised at how he made us laugh! Sometimes just a look, or his sneaking of my slippers even if I'd only taken it off to scratch my foot; when I went to put it back on it was gone!
He liked to come up as we were sitting on the couch and but his head under your hand so we would pat him.
But he would lie down and I couldn't reach, So then he'd stand up again
Or if we stopped he'd go to the other person on opposite side of the coffee table and just look back!!
he was a beautiful black cocker spaniel with unusually curly hair when it was long
and a very expressive tail (no docking for our boy!)
Only in his latter years did he master walking to lead!
He was endlessly patient. Just lying down at my feet.
Would get up even if I was just getting a pen then lie back down
He loved my slippers and would always find one and take it to his basket
In the morning I had one warm slipper!
He'd sleep anywhere !

He coped well after the move from the big backyard to the courtyard  
As he aged he got grey ears and a grey chest and muzzle .But still curly
He'd often lie on anything near his mat 
I took a series of photos in the last 2 years as he was now completely deaf and didn't wake immediately when i did
I wonder why I bothered with the bedding!

But then he'd get it!!
He loved going to the beach or cliff walk at Aireys Inlet as he could be safely off leash there
As he came completed deaf he didn't hear when I called and in a crowd couldn't see me 
So he was always on lead.
The opening of the Brooklyn reserve off leash park over the road in Brooklyn meant we could have a walk round the park then he could wander around there off lead.
He was funny, ignoring all the other dogs just doing his own thing.
People referred to him as a puppy and were stunned when I said how old he was. 
He was as thrilled to see me when I'd just been to get the mail, as he was when I got home late.
When Celia came home after a year or more intervals,  I was the 2nd fiddle for a few days. He remembered her well.
 I have donated his stuff to Pets of the homeless.
When I was down at Aireys this week I collected 4 more leads to donate
When I left Aireys he would run out and wait at the car and I'd often forget to get the lead, so had to buy another in Melbourne.
He was only unwell in the last 6 months and more in the last 3 months.
A life lived and loved well!

SCARF Festival National Wool Museum

On my way to Aireys last week I stopped off in Geelong to see their annual Scarf competition. The imagination and variety as inspiring!! M...