Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Music night

As Wendy is away in China I was offered her ticket to the MSO with Sue.
We met for a meal as usual and were surrounded by the teams Essendon and Carlton if I remember, heading  off to the MCG. Sue had managed to get a park in the handicap zone at the stage door so had just a short walk We were on the entry level so the only stairs she had were the ones down to the seats.

Hamer Hall. Not exactly filled.


The  evening was called Appalachian Spring  with modern composers as well as Stravinsky' s Firebird' Though he is modern as well really. Dying only in 1971.
The was a premiere of a Piccolo suite for Piccolo and orchestra by Paul Stanhope. It was good but as we were in  the choir stall the sound was less  then good.first piece
Appalachian Spring by Aaron Copland was lovely !! Composed for a chamber orchestra of 13 instruments We really enjoyed it.The middle piece was his work to Poems of Emily Dickenson. Although I know of her I must admit I don't know anything about her.  I gather she was a recluse who took to only speaking to other people through a closed door!
The poems were sung by Emma Matthews, marvelous Soprano, but again the acoustics were less than great. Fortunately they were written in the program so we enjoyed the poems.,
Because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me; The carriage held but just ourselves and immortality. But especially
        Heart we will forget him.
Heart we will forget him
You and I , tonight,
You may forget the warmth he gave
I will forget the light.
When you have done, pray tell me,
That I,  my thoughts may dim;
Haste! Lest while you're lagging
I may remember him!


No comments:

India and after

 I've been unable to post all year ( not that 2020 has been a year of activity) and because the the action bar at the top of the blog di...