Thursday, September 4, 2008

Setagaya & Dani Karavan

DAY 2 (-29)
I love the water bowls and fountain heads at Shrine entrances.
This dragon and the simpler Zen bowl are typical of the less is more principle of the Japanese garden style.

#######################################################

Today I went west to Setagaya. It was overcast when I left home but poured as I left the station and headed off on the 17 minute walk to the garden and gallery. My pink shoes with the silver studs (they look better than that sounds) have now twice been soaked; they are either a bad omen or should only be worn on sunny days.
This gallery also has an annex which I was planning to visit as well ( one stop back the way I had come) but the rain and the wet walk decided me to save it for tomorrow.
The exhibition at this new gallery, built in parkland and integrated well, with many huge trees incorporated into the design structure, was a Retrospective of Dani Karavan. The name is familiar but couldn't say I knew it. He is an Israeli sculptor best known for huge site specific installations, memorials and monuments which merge into the environment, though he has made important contributions to art and architecture. See his web site, which has a great information display of the installations. It is the one in Paris that I realise I have seen. www.danikaravan.com.html
The show unfolds a sequential course between early work which grew from illustrating children's weeklies and leaflets in the kibbutz, to set design for Israeli army entertainment, on to theatre especially ballet sets; a lot for Martha Graham (1894- 1991) a pioneer of modern dance and a most influential choreographer.There was a letter from her to him discussing his design for Electra. The models for the sets were beautiful, simple but new, minimalist almost. There were videos above of the ballets taking place on the sets.
There were models for the Installations, and then picture and videos of the works themselves All in all a really fascinating exhibition with seats to sit on while you watched each short 'tour' of the installations.
The rain had stopped when I finished so I did a walk round of the rest of the garden and sculptures in the Park. Then home along a lovely pedestrian walk (I'd gone by the main road) decorated with water courses and these great seats.



1 comment:

see me said...

Looks like a great gallery and park.

Pity about the rain but then it would have looked fresh- though humid perhaps?
Love
Celia

India and after

 I've been unable to post all year ( not that 2020 has been a year of activity) and because the the action bar at the top of the blog di...