Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Thought on ageing


Day 1 (-30) Meiji Jingu
I love the juxtaposition of the ancient history of Japan and it's modernity. Meiji Jingu Shrine is an example of the transition from old to new, with much of the old, part of daily life, not just brought out at celebrations.

#############################################

As I was walking to the station on this Day 1, I was thinking of what I have to be grateful for as I age. I had the energy to walk up the hill on a hot day; I had the mental capacity to understand the Metro system and maps and where I had to go.
Many a
slip twixt..... My confidence was sorely tested as I got off at Hamamatsucho station and could see the garden on the left, so I followed the exit to the left (I should have been alert to the fact that the garden was not on the list of things I was heading toward) and found myself at the opposite side of the garden with no entrance but 3 sides of the square away!
However!
In this garden Kyu-Shiba Riky
u, in the middle of the large pond is an island, a focal point of the garden. The Lake is a copy of one in China (smaller scale of course) where a nearby sacred mountain was said to have mystical powers to prevent ageing; the form of this mountain had been recreated by stones and was immediately on my visit list. Here it is with the bridge access.


With the hot weather and my improved water intake, I needed a loo stop so availed myself of the facilities in the Garden. And what facilities they were.!
You will be to pleased to note I have not turned totally Japanese, but still enjoy the finer western creature comforts! (or is that a sign of encroaching age?)

Mercifully the seat was not warmed!

1 comment:

see me said...

Dear Mich,
What better way to spend Day one of celebrations than to spend it in the gardens.
Hope a special meal is planned too!
Love
Celia

India and after

 I've been unable to post all year ( not that 2020 has been a year of activity) and because the the action bar at the top of the blog di...