Saturday, August 9, 2008

Shibuya

Today I went to Shibuya; a slow day to accommodate the heat, but a 'cool change' well a drop of 4 degrees and a warmish breeze and the threat of rain, was welcome.
I went to see the The Springtime of Russian Avant-Garde exhibition at BunkaMura. It was not really my favourite stuff, but certainly came across a few artist I had not heard of (not surprising really!) I did enjoy the work of David Burliuk & Niko Pirosmani. Burliuk it seems is one of the stars of the Russian Avant-Garde & the "Father of Russian Futurism."
Pirosmani was a 'naive' self taught painter from Georgia (Russia!) who mainly achieved posthumous fame, as he painted to sell his works, but finding attention with his work in 1895 from creating signboards for cafes and shops.

As I headed back to the Shibuya Crossing (one of the busiest intersections in Tokyo I was fascinated by the patience of the Japanese (not
just at this crossing.) I have almost never seen anyone jay-walk, they all wait dutifully even if there is no traffic. This is a crossing when it is all cars or all people, and what a crowd is heading for me! Weaving one's way through is an art form I think

I finished off my day with a quick meal at the Ebi Tendon shop at Meguro. Tendon is food served over rice; in this case prawn and vegetable Tempura.

1 comment:

see me said...

Hi Mich,
Looks like the heat and the great food continue!
The exhibition sounded interesting.
Love
Celia

India and after

 I've been unable to post all year ( not that 2020 has been a year of activity) and because the the action bar at the top of the blog di...