Saturday, January 6, 2018

National gallery Australia

I met up with friend Gerry Silk for lunch and we had a coffee in Fed square (deploring the plans to open an Apple Store there) And before lunch at Young and Jackson's and the Chloe portrait, we went in to the national gallery 

From Gerry's Facebook post I realised she had never been there before, She said she not keen on modern art but we wandered 3 exhibits and had lively commentary 
These works are from Del Kathryn Barton an Australian artist, who won the 2008 and 2013 Archibald Prizes
This exhibit is called The Highway is a Disco
Her work is  renowned for her highly intricate and distinctive hybrid forms and kaleidoscopic portraits
 




Not knowing her name I looked up the Archibald prize wins 
In 2008 (I was away that year) she won with a self portrait  
You are what is most beautiful about me, a self portrait with Kell and Arella
In 2013 she won a second Archibald Prize for her “sincere, deep, generous and creative” portrait of actor Hugo Weaving.



1 comment:

see me said...

Lovely catch up :)

India and after

 I've been unable to post all year ( not that 2020 has been a year of activity) and because the the action bar at the top of the blog di...