Saturday, January 13, 2018

More Art

I had a lunch date cancelled but I decided to go into the NGV anyway and check out one of the Triennial exhibits that needed more time 
I was at the gallery with 1/3 of Melbourne!! I don't know if its just the holidays or the exhibition, So varied and free!
The one I was interested in was by Formafantasma an Amsterdam, a research based design studio of Andrea Trimarchi and Simone Farresin  in Amsterdam 
Created for the NGV Triennial, Ore streams, 2016–17, is a collection of critical design objects that look at materials and their origins; and in particular challenge the validity of industrial design and manufacturing systems and standards for electronic devices – products that ultimately become electronic waste – opening up future opportunities for above-ground mining.
This wa particularly relevant as my printer wa acting up and I wa thinking Ill just get another But this was a wake up to where all the best go.
this is a still from video of the breakdown of parts of a washing machine
And one of the problems about waste is that it is not always clear what the composition of plastics are, and that a lot of the plastic is impossible to separate from the metal, due to the glue used.

Really interesting interviews and videos of waste recycling
They're breaking down commercial printers 

(I fixed my printer!)


The set of objects within the NGV Triennial, formally based on commercial office furniture, question modernist design objectives, such as standardisation, universal style, efficiency and modularity. 
By revealing the invisibility of material origins within contemporary products, Formafantasma reveal how designers, who define what materials will become, can fail to consider or to communicate the sources or potential afterlife of the products they create.
This filing cabinet drawer is aluminium with lasered shots of the moon  
The side of the glass cabinet
The Side of the drawers are from the back of  hard drives.

1 comment:

see me said...

Love the use of the day

India and after

 I've been unable to post all year ( not that 2020 has been a year of activity) and because the the action bar at the top of the blog di...