Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Craft Activity one.The Tree

One of my goals for the year is to post monthly about any craft I have been doing
I have been fascinated by the rise in Yarn bombing. a novel I read a few years ago set in Bryon Bay and a group of 'after dark yarn bombers" because it was illegal. But today it seems to be popping up everywhere or even requested e.g. the Trees in City Square at Christmas
The garden when we moved in 
I haven't been impelled to join a project but thought I would do some at home.
We want to cover the Water Tank but that would be best tried by Celia with painting I think!!
The garden has greened up!
So I decided to do a Tree Yarn Bomb using one of the pergola posts.
I started to just knit squares, and the measurements once I'd done a few, was just casting on till the needle was 2/3 full and the knitted length of the needles was the right width.
Sue Murdoch had recently learned to crochet so I asked her to do some pieces which were great.
She also did some leaves of various scale and design.

Sue's orange crochet piece
Once I had them all finished I arranged them in a colour scale then started sewing
The stretch of the pieces made them grip well. Found it a little tiring holding them up as I stitched and clambering the ladder with care as I sewed!

I added this piece of wool as a caterpillar !
Then came the issue of adding branches
I used actual branches and covered them in a wool blend fabric 
Then trying out arrangements of the leaves and flowers etc 
Checking out how they hang.
The final result 
Branches in situ


Leaves need to be set so they hung OK
The leaves 


No comments:

India and after

 I've been unable to post all year ( not that 2020 has been a year of activity) and because the the action bar at the top of the blog di...