Sunday, January 27, 2013

Kites across the Bay

A last minute request from the Kite boarders who were running an event to raise money for Cancer cam on Friday night. They were coming form Sorrento to Port Melbourne on Kiteboards. They left at 11am and were due in at 3pm. Now that is stamina. I think they stopped off at Rickets Point in Beaumaris but they were putting on a  BBQ for them when they arrived and could we open the bar?
The old salts reliving glory days!!
Being the long weekend we had some Committee members available  and a rescue boat (not that they needed one but there were a few straggler) but we really just sat around for the afternoon.  A few went sailing but it was a bit choppy, and Tony discovered the DVD of the Jolly Boat history with some of the Club history, so sat and watched that. Weird seeing me up there from my Commodore days!
kas had offered to do a 4 hour sift on the bar but spent most of her time restocking the fridge, tidying the store making a few coffees.
The Kites eventually arrived about 445 looking like some insect invasion as they came across the bay and then landed on the beach to the west of the club.


After they seemed organised and were straggling over to the gate where the BBQ was set up I reminded them that the bar was open till 6 if they wanted to come in. One woman commented 'Only six?" 
When I left at 515 (was off to see Silver Linings Playbook--Brilliant) I said to Kas to use her discretion and if she felt it worthwhile to stay longer we would pay her hours. 
She texted me later to say that she had taken $500 between 6 and 7 pm!! I hope one of the guys there helped her in the rush!

1 comment:

see me said...

Looks like a wonderful experience. How did they get home?

"Silver Linings Playbook" is fab!

India and after

 I've been unable to post all year ( not that 2020 has been a year of activity) and because the the action bar at the top of the blog di...