Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Kids at play


I decided to go to the Japan Tourist bureau today to check out when a festival is on (next weekend) as well as collect some information re a mountain area I wanted to visit. After a successful time there I headed along the subway walk back to the Mita line, and decided to check out what was just above (avoiding a long walk in the heat; always my route strategy!) One of the exits was to Tokyo International Forum, the fabulous building by Tange Kenzo.

When I arrived there I was delighted to see it filled with kids.
As part of a promotion for Tokyo bid for the Games in 2012 and the current Games, they had a whole range of activity for the kids. Lots of promotion from companies but the main theme seemed to be kids being active. They were patiently queued for whatever had taken their fancy.
The space is huge so it didn't feel crowded and on the upper level were benches where mothers were resting and feeding the clan.
There was an exhibition of the Tokyo Olympics in 1964 and a display of 3 medals (not sure whose) but the closest I have ever got to a gold Olympic medal!
In one corner kids were busy with traditional activity: kanji writing, theatrical makeup, Kimono dressing and Noh drums, and in another the latest robot toys. Like kids the world over they seemed to want to try everything!


No comments:

India and after

 I've been unable to post all year ( not that 2020 has been a year of activity) and because the the action bar at the top of the blog di...